Thursday, September 27, 2012

Call Me Exhausted


Reading Moby-Dick feels like it has been a real adventure. Unlike after Blithedale Romance or Behind a Mask, I feel like I accomplished a great feat. A big part of that is probably its status as being one of the greatest American novels ever written. It’s referenced in all sorts of things I love (Futurma, Starbucks coffee, The Simpsons, etc.), so I had some knowledge of the story before reading it, but I didn’t understand the subtleties. I knew the line, “Call me Ishmael,” but I didn’t fully grasp the significance.
Now that I’ve read it, I can actually analyze the characters. I can talk about why Ahab was so interested in getting a white whale? (His losing of a limb at the hands jaws of this whale caused him to develop a case of the revenge monomania.) I can inquire as to what the nature of the relationship was between Ishmael and Queequeg, and further inquire as to whether or not it parallels with the relationship between Hawthorne and Melville. (Queequeg and Ishmael were totally lovers, even if homosexuality wasn’t yet an identifier.)
             In a way, I have slain the leviathan that is Moby Dick. No, I didn’t kill a whale, but I read through the densely packed 135 chapters of the novel. Some of it was very interesting. I found the parts showing Ahab’s descent to madness to be especially entertaining. Some of it, however, was a pain to get through. Take the whales being compared to folios chapter. Ugh! I actually fell asleep reading that one. No kidding. I woke up with my face in the book. Sure, one could blame it on the pinot noir I was drinking at the time, but I also fell asleep during the measuring of the whale skeleton chapter while drinking coffee.
            That’s not to say that book was overall boring. I’m glad I read Moby-Dick. It has given me many great ideas with my own writing. (As a creative writing major, I could always use more ideas!) For example, the way Melville plays with point of view. I have always chosen one narrator (usually an omniscient one), and stuck with him/her. After having read Moby-Dick, I’m interested in playing around with the narrator. Maybe I’ll have a story where the narrator hides in the background for a while. Maybe he’ll be a person who at times tells it from an aged POV looking back, whereas at other times he’ll be telling it from the perspective of his young self, experiencing it all.
            Moby-Dick was a challenge to read, but I feel as though I’ll be a better writer now that I’ve read it. 

2 comments:

  1. I thought your reflection on point of view was interesting, as this was a huge part of the essay I read in the back of the book; Moby-Dick: A Work of Art, by Walter E. Benzanson. The essay starts on page 641, but the part I think you might be interested in is in Part II on page 644. Here Benzanson reflects on 'the two Ishmaels', as you said, the young Ishmael living within the story, and the aged Ishmael telling the story. He also writes about how many think the driving force, the two dynamics of the story, are Moby-Dick and Ahab, but in actuality they are the two Ishmaels. I found it to be insightful, and I recommend you read it as well. I hope you find it as helpful and insightful as I did.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "I have slain the leviathan that is Moby-Dick"--exactly!

    ReplyDelete